February 20, 2022

My Photograph of This Concept Art Has Traveled the World

From MiceAge in the United States to international sites headquartered in Spain, France, and elsewhere, my photograph of this concept art for Plectu's Intergalactic Revue has traveled the world- and I couldn't be more thrilled! It truly shows that Disney's theme park fan base is one big family. 

Yesterday's MiceAge article from by Shelly Valladolid  aka the Fabulous Disney Babe, deserves a bit of a backstory as to where this photograph came from.

I took this photo in 1990 of concept art for a brand new use of the Carousel Theater at Disneyland. The concept art caught my eye while I walked through Tomorrowland. I first shared it in 2008, and had no idea it would travel the world. (The same could be said for the art I broke to the world for the infamous Disneyland Dubai.)

The name was to be Plectu's Intergalatic Revue. This was back in the day before Disney characters invaded the land of the future, when Star Tours still felt new, and when aliens from other planets came and staked territory first. 

As with America Sings, these friendlier aliens were to put on this show, and in a different attraction, an angrier alien was to make his appearance at the West Coast version of the great Alien Encounter. Plans change, ideas change, and this concept art was eventually removed from the public eye. The building would have looked great- and I left the enlarged image quite big so that the details can be seen.

There's more than a few other pieces of rare or rarely seen concept art on the Insights blog- but that's what this is all about. Proving once again, if your site is big or small, we're one big Disney theme park loving family.

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)
 

No comments: