June 8, 2022

Every Now & Then and Again

"When I was young, I'd listen to the radio waiting for my favorite songs..." Ten bucks says if you've read this blog for awhile, you know the song and you know the artist! If not, it's Yesterday Once More by the Carpenters. The 1973 hit was a worldwide smash. Written by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis, the tune is a classic- and so is the album from which it came, Now & Then. Back when the songs of the 50s and 60s seemed to be reemerging, Richard had the brilliant idea to record an album with one side being contemporary songs and the other to be filled with classics from years past. From covering the Beach Boys to the girl groups of the era, it's quite a listen.

You may not have seen this photo before. Carpenters historian Chris May - the co-author of Carpenters: The Musical Legacy with Mike Cidoni-Lennox included it as a bonus at the end of his video interview with musicians Earle Dumler and Gayle Levant.  

Articles on Karen and Richard and my collection of rare photos continue to be among the most loved and searched on this blog. Last count, there were almost 100 of them. If you want reviews of their albums, take a look at the current list below. 

Two fo the most popular ones seem to be The Last Hours of Karen Carpenter and The Night I Met Karen Carpenter. But there are so many other ones as well! Enjoy!

--------

Below is the list of my initial reviews and then my "Revisited /Fresh Look" reviews a decade later. 

My Initial Reviews of the albums:


No comments: