March 20, 2019

Disney Freaks and Geeks

Freak or fool? Sometimes I just hate who I am! The words above have been hurled at me for years and not always in the way most admirable. Yes sir, I sure love the Disney theme parks, and I love so many of the animated movies. I brought this upon myself by even being up front about my love for the creativity and innocence of it all. Give me a trip to Disneyland or Walt Disney World over Las Vegas any day. But I'm not just a Disney freak.

As a big fan of the Carpenters, I take a lot of flack as well. For years! Let's be real, a guy just doesn't like Karen Carpenter (and brother Richard) without opening himself up to some crap from the people around him. No matter- good music never goes out of style, and Karen Carpenter had a once in a century voice. She was an Ordinary Fool (one of her best songs), and I guess I am as well. (And I'm so honored to be a part of Randy L. Schmidt's new book, Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography.)

You see, as much as I am a freak and a geek, I'm also a fool. A fool for Jesus, and I'm in good company! The Apostle Paul put up with much more than I ever will! He writes:

"We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!" (I Corinthians 4:10)

I didn't get it either until I did. Why?

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." (I Corinthians 1:18-25)

In many ways, I'd like to be different than I am. But I am who I am, and God's grace on me is more than sufficient. My life, though strange and out of the ordinary in many ways, is a huge blessing- and I pray it is an ongoing testimony of who Jesus Christ is and the difference He can make through one single life.

No comments: