August 28, 2020

Plans for Russia at World Showcase

Take a look at this beauty! OK, one day, I should probably finish my mega article on the proposed Russia pavilion for World Showcase at Epcot. But not today. I will, however, share this piece of concept art showing the once planned sled ride through the Russian countryside. No doubt the Imagineers plans were grand and expensive with more than one real attraction, several eateries, plenty of shops, and a variety of cultural entertainment. But what a draw to the park this would have been. It would have been show stopping!

The addition of the Ratatouille ride to France is one I'm looking forward to as it is my favorite Pixar film, but it has always been the shows and attractions based on the history and culture of the people that have made World Showcase a place I can spend days in. Bring on Brazil or India or somewhere else, but please give us more than beloved animated characters and iconic Marvel properties into my favorite Florida park. Dig deeper, strive harder, take risks. In a world where "cancel culture" is taking over, it is time to remember our real history- both good and bad- and celebrate the positive with hope for the future. Isn't that what EPCOT Center was all about?

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: