November 22, 2023

A Thanksgiving Song by Richard and Karen Carpenter


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and this beautiful song by the Carpenters is the closest thing we have to the magnificent Karen Carpenter singing a song specifically for this important day. "Sometimes" was written by Felice Mancini, the daughter of celebrated composer Henry Mancini. The simple piano accompaniment by brother Richard is just perfect. There's no strings, no drums, no guitars or woodwinds. Just Kaen and Richard doing what they do best. Clean, simple, pure.


Live version. Just beautiful!

Karen and Richard Carpenter recorded it for the beautiful, Grammy award winning Tan Album, (officially known as "Carpenters"), and the song became an instant classic. Proving once again that the man had very good taste in choosing material for his sister to sing.

The Tan album with its premier
of the memorable Carpenters logo and silhouette image.

I'm constantly reminded to also give thanks to God above for His gift of Eternal Life offered through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. In fact, the Bible says many times, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever." And it does!

Today, as I thank God for my blessings, I dedicate this song to my wife, my children, and grandchildren for making my life so rich.  

Sometimes not often enough
We reflect upon the good things
And those thoughts always center 
around those we love
And I think about those people 
who mean so much to me
And for so many years have made me so very happy
And I count the times I have forgotten
 to say "thank you"
And just how much I love them

Friday is the day to jump into Christmas and put the classic Christmas Portrait on the turntable. But for now, take time to reflect on what you have to be thankful for. It does a heart good!

No comments: