December 3, 2021

Hardcore Disney Imagineering Fan Visits Universal Orlando: Part 2

Being the last day of our trip and how much I loved Diagon Alley over at Universal Studios, I just knew we'd spend a good amount of our day in Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure. Now, Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure and  Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey were attractions I definitely wouldn't miss! Hagrid's was on the Top Three list of must do attractions for my son. These also included Velocicoaster and Disney's Rise of the Resistance. (Animal Kingdom's Flight of Passage was fourth.)

When Jurassic Park met Hogsmeade.

The first and only time I had visited Islands of Adventure was 2007. (I did not go to the Studios that trip.) How the park has changed since then! Back then, I was fairly impressed with it and the great theming all around. Were there weak areas? Sure, but they were in the minority. (Read all about it back then and see the photos here.) What wowed me then was The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. This time around for my second visit, what made me stop and go "Whoa!" (to quote Universal's more recent advertising campaign)?

Nice icon for the park entry.

(By the way, this is the last part of our trip report that included all four Disney Parks and Disney Springs as well.)

If you're a hard core Imagineering fan and this is your first visit to Universal Orlando, make no mistake, the younger of the two parks at Universal Orlando is much better themed as an entire park than the Studios, sans Diagon Alley. So, come here your second day. The comparison between the two can be jarring.

 As I said a few days ago, Diagon Alley is the best single Intellectual Property based themed land I've ever seen, beating Disney's Cars Land, Pandora- The World of Avatar, and even Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge on either coast. It's just incredible. Would Hogsmeade let me down?

Due to the fact that we could get in early at the Studios, after yet another stroll through Diagon Alley (why can't I stay away from it?), we entered Islands of Adventure from riding the Hogwart Express. Deposited right into Hogsmeade, the snows peaks of the village contrasted with the bright blue skies. Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure beckoned.   

It would be Hagrid's motorcycles that gave me my introduction to Harry Potter's world in Islands of Adventure. What a way to start! 

The queue is intriguing, and the pre-show a surprise!

Perhaps it's best to state this upfront: Hagrid's is my favorite coaster on the entire Universal property. Getting to choose between a sidecar and riding on the main motorbike seat is just a great way to give the ride instant repeatability. But the reasons are so much more than just this! 

Viewing the terrain of the ride gently begins to pull you right into the story. The well planned landscaping is subtle, but it is still young growth. The imperfections are obvious and a very visible building is minimally themed. (You'll know it when you see it, but it is surprisingly hidden from view when you ride.) When things are fully grown, it will be a real forest, making the presentation even more convincing. (This is something I really wish the Disney Imagineers had done when planning New Fantasyland and its forest. As it stands now, the big barren spaces of paths leave something lacking in impact. )

Into the countryside.

Along the way for Hagrid's bikes, structures are carefully placed to take you out of a theme park and into the movies.  It's not too far into the queue when you might realize you don't really mind waiting for the actual ride. How many attractions can make you say that? Of course, everything is nicely done, with a mix of indoor and outdoors sections which drive you deeper into the story and give you tons of design detail to make the time pass. 

No spoilers here, but read on: The ride itself includes plenty of story scenes along with thrills big, small, and unexpected. Personally, I enjoy the drops in most any coaster, but I even more enjoy rounding the curves of a well designed track. This is something that Disney's Expedition Everest and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad do oh so well, making them among my favorites. Hagrid's excels in this regard, with angled curves that make your motorbike feel like the real deal. This coaster keeps a smile on my face all the way through this rather lengthy ride track. Unlike the other more radical coasters on the Universal properties, when I got off this one, I wanted to get right back in line!

Quite a view at dusk. Even better than during the day!

Seeing such a convincing snow effect in Hogsmeade during a 90 degree day in Central Florida took me by surprise. We walked through with me thinking that this wasn't as impressive a space as Diagon Alley, but then Hogwart's castle came into view just around the corner. 

Such great and convincing scale!

Wow. I just stood there in relative awe. This is what Beast's castle in New Fantasyland over at the Magic Kingdom should have been. Big, large, detailed, and housing a great "E Ticket" attraction. Another win for Tokyo Disneyland. Oh, well. A film as beloved as  Beauty and the Beast certainly deserved better, but in contrast, Harry Potter and the incredible success of the franchise got exactly what it was worth. Author J.K. Rowling was very smart to insist on creative control- and with her guidance Universal Creative delivered a near masterpiece. Near? Stay with me.

You know how it is accomplished,
but it's so well done, you don't really care or notice.

Here's my ride review first: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is an excellent attraction, mixing projections with real sets and props. It all starts with a queue that impresses beyond belief, taking you into the film and making you think it is a real place and not only the figment of imagination. 

As for the ride itself, it is at turns beautiful, mysterious and thrilling. Those daring to adventure with Harry are rewarded with a "How did they do that?" one of a kind experience. But, if they are like us, chances are they are also rewarded with a slightly upset stomach. It's worth it, and even worth a repeated trip, but it comes at a price. 

All said, it's Universal's Haunted Mansion from a modern perspective. An instant classic that is not to be missed and won't be forgotten.

Hog's Head Bar.
Butterbeer and more from a creature that's alive.

So, you may be asking yourself why Hogsmeade is a near masterpiece. Size matters- and in this case, it's just too small an area overall. The limited number of shops and restaurants and therefore fewer nooks and crannies to explore keep the land from being perfect. The attraction line up is an absolute winner, though. Two world class "E" Tickets, a "D" in the Express Train (with different shows each direction), and a "C" in the rethemed kiddie coaster, plus a handful of places to practice using your wand and an excellent nighttime show. What more could you want?

In a perfect world, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley would be combined into the beginnings of one great theme park that could stand on its own compared to anything else built in Orlando. It's proof positive that you don't have to love Harry Potter, have read the books or seen the movies to love what Universal did with the Intellectual Property.

What about the rest of the park? Although not perfect, it's pretty darn good!

The People Eater.

Now it's time for a true confession. I wasn't entirely sure that I could ride Velocicoaster, so I watched a few on line videos. Then, I was really sure I couldn't do it. But because I love my son so much, I wanted to ride this with him. After all, he invited us to vacation with him and experience his theme parks. So, I bit the bullet.

Being that we just had our stomachs handed to us on Harry's Forbidden Journey, I convinced him to let us walk a bit and explore the park. This would give us a chance to settle a bit and allow me to muster up my courage. 

Spider-Man rocks it at Universal!
But the Captain deserves a ride as well!

Since my first visit in 2007, I'd been telling my wife that the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man was one great attraction, one every bit on par with the Indiana Jones Adventure- and after experiencing it again even in its newer 3-D format, I stand by that earlier statement. It's been open for so many years, that there's really no need to tell more about it. If you're a theme park fan, you already understand why it won so many awards. This is the family-friendly Marvel hero adventure that Disney should have built. I still get a kick out of "Nice shades". 

After a journey with Peter Parker, my wife sat it out while we took a turn on the Incredible Hulk. It was a warm up act for what would come later.

The big guy does live!

Skull Island Reign of Kong would be a very good test case as to what younger or more easily frightened riders can take at the Universal parks.  It's thrilling but not jarring, fun and rather short. The queue is dark, and the execution of the concept is rather violent at times. So parents, be forewarned this clearly is not Epcot's Universe of Energy or even the tamer Primeval World from Disneyland. Bad things do happen to good people. My understanding is this attraction has taken a good amount of flack for being less than it could be, but it's still solid and a nice change of pace from a motion simulator. 

Deciding we were not in the mood to get soaked, we skipped both water rides and even the Jurassic River Adventure. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't. All three are great fun. It was just a bad decision on our part. Toon Lagoon is rumored to have an upcoming change in theme. That's good. It's not an impressive area by any means even if the attractions are  worth the time.

No... it's actually worse than it looks.

The time had come. There was no more avoiding Velocicoaster. We found a place for my wife to rest, and my son and I got in line. The apprehension was already building as we walked in. It moved very quickly which was a mixed blessing. I wanted to go and get it over with, but I also wanted to enjoy it.

The pre-show with Chris Pratt was something I didn't pay too much attention to. Not because I don't like him but because it just meant it was coming closer to boarding. Watching the raptures' heads blinking menacingly was startling in its effectiveness. The scene where we watched riders take off chased by the creatures was a fun bit of creativity, and I half expected the designers to attempt to duplicate that, but they did not.

Dropping off everything we owned, we walked up to the station and waited. It only took about three cycles before I could see up close and personal the expression on riders' faces as they returned. So many words of shock mixed with shouts of excitement. I knew it'd be an absolute adrenaline rush. But I was not ready for the reality. I don't think you can be, actually. That's part of the ride's power and appeal.

You only find this after you've ridden.

With just a slightly tight lap restraint, I had put my trust in the hands of the ride's engineers. Could this really hold me in? Well, yes, and not entirely! How I wished I had something to hold on to. Off we went waiting to be launched.

High, high, up into the sky- and over the top for the first big, big drop. Whoa. My heart was racing! Normally, I would ride a coaster and try to get a view of the park from the top. Not this time. Seriously, I could only focus on taking it one thrill at a time. And this beast delivered.

The sight of the raptors was so minor compared to the ride itself, I barely noticed them. After more loops and turns and a terrifying second launch into the most immense twisted drop I've ever experienced, it still was not over. The airtime seemed to last at least a minute, and there were several times throughout I was sure I was coming out of my seat. After finally going upside down in a barrel roll twice over the lagoon, our train blew into the brake zone and then the station. I was relieved. To my credit, I did keep my eyes open all the way through.

Let me sum it up in two ways. First, I told my son that if I talked his mom into riding Velocicoaster that she'd never speak to me again. But I described it even better later: Islands of Adventure's newest coaster makes Animal Kingdom's Expedition Everest look like the Magic Kingdom's Barnstormer. In other words, a beginner's kiddy coaster. My son hopped back in line, but I passed.

Would I ride it again?  Maybe a different day or another trip, but as this was our last day at Universal, once was enough for me. My son got right back in line. I'd take a second Forbidden Journey and two more turns on the breezy Hagrid's but Owen Grady's raptors owned the day. With top notch theming and an incredibly smooth but totally terrifying ride, Velocicoaster is the one to beat in Orlando. 

Nice, sweet, and one of few areas where little kids can ride.

There were two rides left before our dinner time at Mythos, the in park restaurant often ranked as the best one in Orlando. The Cat in the Hat dark ride was cute but nothing special. We followed it up with The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride. Think of it as a Dr. Seuss version of the Peoplemover. Both one and done attractions, but they were a welcome change of pace.

Was it worth the title of Best Theme Park Restaurant?

By now, it was a hot late afternoon, and the park was set to close its doors in about two hours. Mythos was a great way to end an equally great vacation. We were seated next to the window overlooking the lagoon and a view of Hulk throwing his passengers into a frenzy.

The grilled lamb meatballs were a winner with me, but got a vote of "so-so" by the rest of my family. My Pad Thai Noodles were tasty but on the mild side of spiciness rather than the heat I really like.  In contrast, my wife's special grilled cheese and my son's gnocchi were ranked "pretty good".  Again, all for 2/3 the cost of a Disney meal. The benefit was a relaxed time together to talk about our trip and what we thought of Universal Orlando Resort and all it offered.

Port of Entry has excellent theming.
Every bit as good as Disney.

Lots to photograph during the warm glow of the sun slowly setting.

After dinner, we took our time to walk in and out of the shops of Port of Entry. This also allowed me to take tons of photographs. It is a gorgeous area, and if guests begin their day by walking through the main gates in the park, it really does set the stage nicely. We walked out slowly and a little bit sadly knowing our vacation was over. 

The park looked terrific in the slowly setting sun! Islands of Adventure is a very, very good park! I'd say it is better than Disney California Adventure and is perhaps even stronger than Disney's Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. There's much more to do here than Epcot, although I'm sad to admit it. That said, it is a totally different vibe than anything Disney has in Florida. 

Incredible at night!

What can an old school Disney Imagineering fan learn from a visit to Universal Orlando Resort? Lots.

Universal's word of mouth is true and not hype. Everything Harry Potter is all that you've heard it to be- and you have to see it in person to believe it. Video does not capture it. And Velocicoaster- wow!

Disney's main competitor is quickly closing in on the market that once belonged solely to the Mouse. If Universal Creative takes the lessons learned and expands upon them, Disney had better watch out as they will lose yet another day of visitors itinerary to Epic Universe. If the third park is as good as Islands of Adventure, with Super Nintendo World and another based on Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts and more, there's no limit to what they can accomplish. They'll fill their hotel rooms, their excellent and fairly priced restaurants, and fill their stores with guests wanting to take home a reminder of their trip.

Somehow, Universal is able to tap into the lucrative teen and young adult market. A market with a lot of cash to spend since there's relatively few kids to provide for. Disney's trying to squeeze in Marvel where it can, but they are way behind in the game. Yes, Rise of the Resistance is rightfully the new king of attractions, but one amazing ride does not a destination make. The Magic Kingdom will always be the biggest draw, but I'd say the rest of the Disney parks have much to lose to Universal in a toe to toe comparison.

With top notch resorts at less than half the price of Disney, a vibrant shopping and dining complex in City Walk, and two interesting theme parks, Universal is now a force to deal with.

Imagineering is no longer the only game in town. Universal Creative has come into its own. Their designers deserve all the props they are getting. Let's just say my next trip to Florida will have at least one day at Universal...

(Photographs copyright Mark Taft.)

No comments: