June 20, 2016

Silly Old Bears at the Jamboree

Zeke, Zeb, Ted, Fred, and Tennessee. The Five Bear Rugs- usually with Gomer on the piano, and little baby bear Oscar along for the ride. The centerpiece act of the one and only original Country Bear Jamboree, a Florida Magic Kingdom opening day attraction.

When I was in high school, my father worked with a man who had "inside" connections at Disneyland. This guy ended up arranging a brief behind the scenes tour for us. I was thrilled that we were able to go behind stage at the wonderful Marc Davis designed Country Bear Jamboree! It had just opened a couple of years ago, replacing the Indian Village. 

Bear Country and the Jamboree 
coming soon to Disneyland.
A Marc Davis classic replacing the Indian Village.

We went in through some back entrance and headed toward the rear of the stage. Unexpectedly, I looked up and saw the backside of Henry, the master of ceremonies. He was huge! I could hear the show going, and I could even see through a very, very small opening, a slice of the theater. 

After hanging out for awhile, we headed out of the park. I never will forget this once in a lifetime opportunity! For a long time Disneyland fan, it was quite a gift from my Dad to set this all up. Another in a long list of great and personal Disney thrills.

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: