February 19, 2023

Two Rare Adventureland Goodies

Since I ran out of time to put together my "The New Orleans Square You've Never Seen" article, I thought I would put out there a couple of pieces of rare concept art for Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World

At top is Imagineering's Colin Campbell and a beautiful piece showing the outdoor preshow area to the Tropical Serenade at the Sunshine Pavilion. In Florida, there's no garden with the gods before entering the Enchanted Tiki Room, but there is a cute little show while guests wait for the main attraction. In this piece, I'm struck by how dressed up everyone is! What a nice change of pace compared to today, right?

Do you love eating at Skipper's Canteen? (I haven't gotten in yet. It's on my must-do next trip.) The Jungle Cruise inspired restaurant looks to have a great menu and an intriguing atmosphere. 

But actually, I have gotten into Skipper's Canteen, just under the name of the Adventureland Veranda- which goes back to opening in 1971. Same location, different interior, much less expensive but some similarities. Dorothea Redmond captured the charm of early Disney World perfectly here. The Veranda also had some space now used by the Magic Kingdom's more difficult to see Club 33. It was nice to sit and eat lunch and overlook the rest of the park while the Plaza Swan Boats sailed by. Ah, simple pleasures of years gone by...

Many Disney Parks fans like to play "Which Resort is the best?" I'd rather just enjoy the differences for what they are. They're both so different and each has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. But one thing is certain: Disney Imagineers are some of the best in the business! Even if Universal Creative is killing it lately, I want to believe Imagineering can still create world class attractions when given the proper encouragement, direction, and budget. Where's Walt when you need him?

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)


No comments: