September 1, 2022

Riding a 70's Rock Horse

Not one to be satisfied with just fronting The Who, Roger Daltrey had a solo career all his own. Roger's classic solo album Ride a Rock Horse has one of the best album covers ever. It captures the free spirit emphasized in Rock and Roll. The Who's epic Pinball Wizard was the highlight of the rock opera Tommy, but I must admit Elton John's very slightly gimmicky remake turned it into something much catchier than the original.

What made me think of this? My wife's recent comment of "You've been on a 70s music kick lately." I guess she's right. I've been scouring Billboard magazine and the U.K.'s New Musical Express while listening to a good amount of old stuff- on vinyl no less. I'm not sure it's the way music was intended to be played, but I sure like the large size photos, liner notes, and the entire scale of it all. 

I've been so blessed to see many classic Rock acts, but never did see The Who.  The best of the lot? Peter Frampton or Queen, hands down. (Freddie Mercury was riveting on stage!) But the answer to "Which rock concert was my favorite?" depends on the day and my mood.

No comments: