December 29, 2019

Ranking My 2019 Most Anticipated Disney Experiences

Looking back on what I first wrote in January of 2019, I'm going to go back to my most anticipated Disney offerings for the year and give each a rating. This will be like school grades as opposed to the A to E Ticket ratings I did earlier on each park attraction over the last decade. Was I disappointed or delighted? Here we go!

Phantom Manor refaire. Photographer unknown.

The Re-Imagining of the Phantom Manor:  B+
When I read that Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald was refreshing Paris' elaborately original take on the Haunted Mansion, I was skeptical. He's a lover of screens, and I imagined something far worse than the end result. Granted, building on the work of Walt era Imagineers allows a foundation of excellence, but you can also screw up a classic. The end result: I like it much better than I thought- some of it is just stunning- but I wish the storyline wasn't spelled out for me. Turning Melanie into a villain was a mistake. 

This is a must see.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: A
Millenium Falcon: Smuggler's Run is the only attraction I've ridden in the land- but I've been to versions on each coast. Does it feel lifeless at times? Yes. Does it need its headliner attraction, Rise of the Resistance to fully show what the Imagineers were trying to accomplish absolutely. Could it have been better? Yes, but even without a complete package, I was not disappointed.

A disappointment.

Toy Story 4: C 
Buzz Lightyear and Woody are the most likable of buddies and the Toy Story series some of the best buddy movies of all time. It was wasted here.  They should have stopped at 3. Enough said. 

Meh.
Frozen 2: Pass
I've chosen to wait for home release on Disney+. The reviews from my own relatives were mixed, leaving me less than pressed to pay movie theater prices for a film I wasn't sure about to begin with.

Great idea in a very wrong location- but worth the wait.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway: Delayed 
To quote myself: "Other than giving the boot to The Great Movie Ride, what isn't there to like about an E Ticket attraction focused on Mickey and Minnie? Absolutely nothing!" I was very, very disappointed the opening was delayed. It will now be a few years before I'm back at the World. Still smells like a hit to me!

Ka-plunk not Ka-chow!

Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy: D
This little show is pure filler and not worth a repeat viewing unless you've got first time little visitors that need a diversion when they can't ride Twilight Zone or Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. 

I guess there's always 2021.

D23 2019: C-
One disappointment after another. Why waste Dick Van Dyke in announcing a Mary Poppins attraction without wowing us with details? Why announce an Epcot renovation without something to amaze us? Why did they even hold this event?

Unexpected and incredible.

The Imagineering Story: A
I did not know about this series coming to Disney+, but aside from the last episode when it falls into a puff piece, this could be my very favorite of all Disney experiences for the year. Respectful of the greatness that once was, honest about recent failures, and hopeful for the future. Just a wonderful series that I wish would continue. 

How did your Disney year shape up?

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

1 comment:

MracoK said...

What makes you think Melanie was turned into a villain in Phantom Manor?
It's still her father who's the villain!