December 13, 2019

A Remembrance for My Father-in-Law

"Joe was a man of faith. The foundation of his faith was Jesus Christ and what He accomplished while on the earth.

Let’s begin by reading Jesus’ own words as the underlying principle through which we read the Scriptures:

As Jesus is preparing to go to the cross and complete the work He was sent to do, he meets with His Disciples. These are his words to them as found in the Gospel of John Chapter 14 verses 1-6. They are good words for us to remember tonight:

John 14:1- 6  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

It’s out of God’s great love for us that He is this direct and straight forward! He wants us to understand and know the way to Heaven without confusion.

From the Old Testament, we have this scripture about Job. If you remember, Job was a man of great love for God who had been blessed with a large family and a very fruitful life. Later on, his faith is severely tested, and he loses everything. In the middle of it all, Job speaks this declaration of thankfulness to God.

Job 19:23-27
Oh, that my words were written!
Oh, that they were inscribed in a book!
That they were engraved on a rock
With an iron pen and lead, forever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
And He shall stand at last on the earth;
And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
That in my flesh I shall see God,
Whom I shall see for myself,
And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

This Promise of Eternal Life and Joy for those who love God should produce thankfulness in us. Thankfulness is a common theme throughout the Psalms.

Our Responsive Reading is from Psalm 103-

Psalm 103:8-19
8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
    slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse,
    nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
    or repay us according to our iniquities.
Say:  “GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD. HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!”

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
Say:  “GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD. HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!”

13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
14 for he knows how we are formed,
    he remembers that we are dust.
15 The life of mortals is like grass,
    they flourish like a flower of the field;
16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
    and its place remembers it no more.
Say:  “GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD. HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!”

17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the Lord’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children—
18 with those who keep his covenant
    and remember to obey his precepts.
Say:  “GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD. HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!”

19 The Lord has established his throne in heaven,
    and his kingdom rules over all.
Say:  “GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD. HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER!”


Let's celebrate Joe's life by sharing stories.  Funny stories, sad ones, inspirational ones. All will be helpful to the family as they hear how much Joe means to you and the impact he’s had on your life!

Now a psalm to begin a quiet, reflective time.

From King David- speaking of God’s promises to all people who love him: Psalm 16
6 You make my life pleasant, and my future is bright.
7 I praise you, Lord, for being my guide.
Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind.
8 I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear.
9 With all my heart, I will celebrate, and I can safely rest.
10 I am your chosen one.
You won’t leave me in the grave or let my body decay.
11 You have shown me the path to life,
    and you make me glad by being near to me.
Sitting at your right side, I will always be joyful.

Joe is loved. He is in Heaven with God, enjoying his company.
Jesus paid the price in full on his behalf.
Ours is a Temporary separation.
Because we love and follow Jesus will see Joe again!

The Apostle Paul tells us to focus on the eternal things (2 Corinthians 4: 17-18), Jesus’ work is completely meets God’s requirements for eternal life (Romans 5), that death will not separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38-9), and to be away from the body is to be with God (2 Corinthians 5:8).

Matthew 11:28-30.  Jesus says:
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Joe finished his life well, honoring God. And God will give you what you need to continue on. Just ask Him.

No comments: