November 14, 2019

One More Time with Karen Carpenter

Among fans of Richard and Karen Carpenter, their 1976 album "A Kind of Hush" is often forgotten compared to their groundbreaking disc "Close to You", the hit studded "A Song For You" or the mesmerizing "Horizon".  But that doesn't mean it's without its own fine moments. (And don't forget the Carpenters first greatest hits disc, The Singles 1969-1973- the one that made most people reconsider their initial assessment of the duo's talents.)

I was in my car the other day, needing to make a long drive. I took along Hush and Horizon. Both sounded excellent. Although Hush is softer with less edge and more background vocals, there is one cut that stood out to me: One More Time. I listened to it several times and I realized again what a gifted vocalist Karen was! She immersed herself into the story here, making it come alive. And I noticed her pronunciation on certain words really brought out the skill in her interpretation, particularly the "zh" sound in "Baton Rouge". Beyond lovely! Richard's arrangement is no less special. The subtle interplay of piano, strings, and the harp at the end of the song add to making it an instant classic. A tough act to follow after the heartbreaking I Need to Be in Love, which precedes it on the disc.
----
Although I am revisiting all their albums, one at a time, I've only gotten as far as 1972's A Song For You. My original album review for A Kind of Hush can be found here

No comments: