December 10, 2017

Is Indy Going to Hong Kong Disneyland?

All this discussion about Indiana Jones Adventure replacing the generically named Dinosaur at Disney's Animal Kingdom reminds me of this little seen piece of Imagineering concept artThis early concept for the unloved and then very underdeveloped Hong Kong Disneyland park reminds me that good ideas never disappear- and Indy may be just the adventurer to bring in the crowds beyond the most recent expansions, including a bigger castle, a Frozen themed land, and a couple of Marvel attractions thrown in for good measure. 

Back to the map. In this initial version of Hong Kong's park, you'll see the teeny tiny castle is at the back of first Chinese Fantasyland. Keep looking, and you'll discover a slice of a lagoon for an evening show (just to the east side of Main Street), a very big chunk of land reserved for the Indiana Jones Adventure, and much more. 

Will Indy make it to another Asian park beyond Tokyo? My gut instincts say "Yes!", especially when Disney reboots the franchise. Mark my words. I've been wrong before, but I think this is just too tasty to pass up.

Once the second Imagineering book came out, many more people saw art. But did you look that closely when you picked up the book? I did- only if to see if it was the same piece I had in my collection. 

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: