October 15, 2015

This is Not Disney's Italy

Every once in awhile, a television show we do not normally watch catches my eye. This happened last night after a very long work day. We slumped into bed, and flicked on the tube for a few minutes. 

Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods was touring the culinary world of Venice, Italy. Instantly, I was hooked.

The images dazzled me as I remembered the island city. I wrote about our trip so long ago. (Tons of photos too.) It seemed like forever- but the power of the television made it seem like yesterday. The canals, the gondolas, St. Mark's Square, Murano glass, fresh pasta, hazelnut brittle and cool mint drinks while strolling the back alleys. 

As we watched and listened, I was reminded of how much we have traveled and how blessed we have been to do so. Much of Europe, Hawaii, much of the US, some of Canada, and even bits of Asia. I am very proud to be an American most any day (sometimes our recent government choices embarrass me), but the lure of the beauty of Europe draws me in. The villages of Italy, the peaks of Switzerland, the valleys of France, the castles of Germany, etc. 

For those of you used to the EPCOT Center version of it all, take some time away from the parks and World Showcase and go see the real thing. You'll be impressed with it all, especially the people and the sights and sounds and flavors. Take a risk and get out there. You'll be so glad you did.

(Photograph copyright Mark Taft.)

No comments: