May 7, 2011

What's New and What's Next?

"Whats' New and What's Next?" It's the question of the season, isn't it? As Disney peppers us with elaborate concept art and showcases Imagineering models of the coming attractions in California Adventure's Blue Sky Cellar and on the East Coast with the New Fantasyland, it has become an ingrained question in the hearts of die hard fans. Some of the end result is wonderful, some not so much. Other works remain to be seen.

I'm sort of in the same place in my life right now. What's next? Having our third child (of four) get married- two in one year!- has created something that will one day become "a new normal"; but for now, it has left me wondering about my life and what is coming around the bend.

It would be much easier going about my life as always and not thinking about it. Fill up my free time with things like hanging out with my wife, my friends, working out at the gym, reading my Bible, resting, listening to music, watching movies and television, blogging. Sometimes even mindless activities that eat up my day even though they do give me something in return. (Those rock hard abs are still not visible, but I do really like prayer and the peace of mind and connection with God it brings!)

Yet, if I pause long enough, I cannot help but think about these recent big changes and what is waiting for me. Honestly, I just do not know- and maybe that's better. However, I like to have things figured out, to see what's coming up and to affect the outcome, to be prepared, to be in control. So a season of waiting, a season of faith like this is, can be frustrating and worrisome.

A season of reevaluating is not a bad thing unless I stay in this place too long. Bottom line, I trust God's plan and purposes for me. I just want to discover them, and I don't want to screw it up. Does that all make sense?

No comments: