August 1, 2014

The Last Hours of Karen Carpenter

Leave it to British television to continue to honor and leverage the ongoing international popularity (and curiosity regarding) Karen Carpenter.

Neither sensationalist nor simplistic, the documentary provides little insight into what caused Karen's death (it wasn't just from anorexia nervosa). What is does accomplish is telling a fascinating story of human frailty and tragedy even in the midst of great domestic and international success. Stunning success.

As Carpenters, Karen and her brother Richard Carpenter sold millions of albums and singles worldwide, creating a legacy accomplished by her. Karen's unexpected death in 1983 left fans confused, mourning, and always longing for one last song from the woman with the golden voice.

It's a compelling video to say the very least. Rumors persist that in her true last hours, specifically the year before she died, Karen had long, deep, talks with a cousin who explained the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ to all that would give their lives to Him, trusting that He alone was the only payment to God the Father for their sin and the only way to heaven; that He alone conquered death on the cross. 

I wonder if this was what she heard or read: "Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."  (These are from the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:1-5, and then from the book of John, chapter 3 verses 16 and 17.)

Eventually, Karen reportedly gave her life to Jesus and trusted Him for her future and for the forgiveness of where she fell short. If it's true, this evangelist relative will be forever thanked by the legions of Karen's fans. (By the way, the same offer of new life and forgiveness of sins has been made available to each of us- not just Karen. What will you do? Accept it or not? )

As for me, I will always be grateful to Herb Alpert and A&M Records for signing this talented duo. Karen's voice is like no one else. God broke the mold after he made her. Paired with Richard's delicate arrangements which beautifully showcased her voice, the Carpenters were a once in a lifetime musical act. In fact, I so appreciate the contribution of Karen and Richard to popular music, that I was asked to be part of Randy L. Schmidt's book, Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography. What an honor! (His first book on Karen, Little Girl Blue, is quite the read as well. Check out my review here.)

---

Want more Karen and Richard?


There's about 250 posts on this blog about the Carpenters and their success. Album by album reviews (See below), rare photos, updates on Richard's activities since Karen's passing and more.



26 comments:

Rick Henry said...

Yes, Karen Carpenter was a one of a kind vocalist. Her best work is her solo album. I love Carpenters but her solo album showcased Karen at her very best!!!

Rick Henry said...

Karen Carpenter was a one of a kind vocalist. Her best work is her solo album. I love Carpenter but her solo album showcases her at her very best!!!

Rick Henry said...

Karen Carpenter was a one of a kind vocalist. Her best work is her solo album. I love Carpenter but her solo album showcases her at her very best!!!

Mark said...

Yeah, I think her solo album is very good as well! There are some things there that rank with the best by she and Richard!

Unknown said...

I am forever grateful to her cousin for leading her to eternal life .... I look forward to hearing her sing in heaven

Unknown said...

Ive loved their songs my whole life. What a voice. Beautiful lady. Sad she's gone.

Mark said...

I'm certainly with you on your comments. Thank you for reading!

Michael said...

Hello from 2020! I found this blog post last week, and as a Christian (and a Carpenters fan) I’m curious to know where you got the information that Karen accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior. I hope and pray that it’s true, and I truly would love to hear more about some details from this post. Thank you very much!

Michael said...

Hello from 2020! I found this blog post last week, and as a Christian (and a Carpenters fan) I’m curious to know where you got the information that Karen accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior. I hope and pray that it’s true, and I truly would love to hear more about some details from this post. Thank you very much!

Michael said...

Hello from 2020! I found this blog post and as a Christian (and a Carpenters fan) I wanted to know more details about this story described in this post. I was curious to find out where you found this information about Karen. I certainly hope and pray that it’s true, but is there any way you could tell me where you got this information, along with any more details? Thank you very much!

Mark said...

Everything I heard regarding this I have posted in the blog article. Thank you for reading!

Jodee said...

I don’t know if it possible or not but I know creative people have somehow....through technology...done duets with famous artists who lived in different generations. If possible, I would LOVE to be able to hear a duet with Karen Carpenter and Bing Crosby!!

Mark said...

They certainly would sound good together! (By the way, there's many many Carpenters posts on this blog to explore. :). )
Thank you for reading!

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord! Great to know that some day we can hear her Amazing voice in Heaven!

Georgia Joy said...


Karen Carpenter was the vocalist in the 29th century.

Unknown said...

Love her voice.

Murdina said...

"Why do birds suddenly appear...?"
Because Karen Carpenter's voice is floating out my 12 the floor apartment window...

Mark said...

Murdina, that is cute! Thank you for reading!

Unknown said...

KAREN IS MY FAVORITE SINGER I THINK OF HER AND HER TALENT EVERYDAY LETS HOPE OUR DEAR LEADDISTER DID FIND CHRIST B4 HER UNTIMELY PASSING I ALWAYS KNEW SHE WAS AN ANGEL KAREN DAMRON KENTUCKY

Unknown said...

I entered this sight while searching to see if Karen was a Christian. Such a beautiful lady with such a captivating voice. I was a teenager when first hearing The Carpenters, and I listened to them more than any person or group. I remember when hearing she had died the shock, and sadness I felt. I never had the privilege of hearing them in person, but one day, I will get to hear that beautiful, captivating voice again, and to hear her in person. She and Richard have been a Gift given to us by God, and I will always cherish their music.

Mark said...

Definitely God-given gifts!
Thank you for reading!

Monica said...

I am happy to know that Karen Carpenter will be in heaven and I can't wait to meet her and tell her that she's my favorite singer and that her music helped me a lot in my life.

Mark said...

Thank you for reading, Monica!

Angel blade said...

She died of IPECAC poisoning. A heart attack. She was found in her closet having been running on her treadmill.

Mark said...

I had not heard about the treadmill, Angel.
Thanks for reading!
Mark

Unknown said...

The music speaks louder than any words