January 8, 2024

The Wrecking Crew and the Carpenters: "Karen is Just the Drummer"

Every music lover needs this book! Author Kent Hartman recounts story after story with members of the recording industry's unsung heroes, studio musicians known as "The Wrecking Crew".  The Crew was made up of incredible drummer Hal Blaine, singer and guitarist Glen Campbell, bass player Carol Kaye, keyboard player Larry Knetchel, and the infamous and troubled but very talented Jim Gordon among many others.  These hidden geniuses, who worked with everyone from Phil Spector to Jimmy Webb and more, became the backbone of hits by major artists such as Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, and the Carpenters. They can be found on hundreds of recordings of significant stature.

Get a load of this quote by mother Agnes Carpenter as she talked to drummer Hal Blaine in the studio when he gently suggested to a young Karen - recording Close to You- that she drop the vocal down a key for a better recording- “No, that's how she sings... Besides, Richard is the star here. Karen is just the drummer" (page 231). 

Now, among too many Carpenters fans, Agnes has long been the villain. (At the very least, she couldn't see her daughter for the true talent she was.) But that's not the point here. The takeaway is that a very wise and experienced Hal Blaine may have been the very one to get A&M Record's new artists Carpenters the ultimate smash hit of (They Long to Be) Close to You. Exactly what their career needed to move them into the mainstream of AM radio and sales that came with it. And the Wrecking Crew- and Blaine in particular- had the same kind of record and career changing impact with many other artists as well.

Be forewarned- if you buy this book, it will be extremely hard to put down. Hartman's style and substance makes it as entertaining a read as can be. Story after story keeps you glued to the page. If you're a huge fan of music and fascinated by the tales behind the hits, trust me on this one!

3 comments:

John said...

Hi Mark,
I just recently stumbled upon your blog, and I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your perspective on a variety of topics, but in particular for your honesty regarding your faith journey. As a Christian who came to faith on the late 70s (I am currently 65), I can relate to a lot of your feelings and struggles during that time. In addition, I am also a huge Carpenters fan, but only more recently. While I have one of those indelible memories of where I was and what I was doing when I fist heard Karen sing Close To You on the radio in the Summer of 1970, I didn't actively follow their career through the decade. Though I was very aware of their music being played on the radio, and always enjoyed it, I was too much into the hard rock scene at the time, so I never bought any of their albums. Speed ahead to the Summer of 2023, and I see a YouTube interview with Randy Schmidt, and decide to buy his book. That led me to go back and listen to their entire catalog of music via my streaming service. Needless to say, I have been blown away, and have fallen in love with Karen's voice the same way I did on that Summer afternoon in 1970. Being a bit of an audiophile, I am amazed at just how good their music was produced, engineered and mastered back then, such that it really shows on a high end stereo system today. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog posts.

Blessings,
John

Mark said...

John, thank you so much for your kind words! Regarding Randy Schmidt, I was honored to be a part of his pictoral discography book. I was interviewed for A Kind of Hush. I think you'll find my "Revisited" reviews on Horizon,A Kind of Hush, Live at the Palladium, and Passage most interesting from a faith perspective- if you haven't already read them. I'm so thrilled you're enjoying the blog! Always appreciate support from those who follow Jesus, too. Bless you!

John said...

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I just recently picked up both Randy's Illustrated Discography, and Carpenters - The Musical Legacy. The pictures alone are worth the price, but all the detail on the recordings is invaluable. I saw your comments on "Hush" in the book, and I have to say that "One More Time" is my favorite track. Not only does she take you on a mental journey, but I have never heard Karen's voice sound so utterly effortless, particularly in regards to her gorgeous vibrato. I appreciate how you weave your faith into these stories, and it makes me hope that these two supremely gifted people were introduced to the Lord somewhere along the way. Obviously, with Karen's untimely passing, it hits home with more force, as I know that Richard is still alive and may have expressed faith along the way.

In Christ,
John