September 1, 2023

Coming to Peace with Amy Grant Even If I Disagree with Her

This is almost like a gift. Years back, we had tickets to see Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith in concert, and then my father was scheduled for emergency heart surgery the same day. Out of state. We gave the tickets to some friends. I flew out to see him, and we moved on. I haven't had a chance to see her again.

Even longer ago, when Amy came through town on the House of Love tour, we had great seats! Gary Chapman opened for his wife and was quite good But I waited for the title song. The hit song with now husband Vince Gill is still one of my favorites- and truth be told, when the Building the House of Love video came out on A&M Records, my wife and I could easily recognize the spark and chemistry between she and Vince. Little did we know what was going on. 

Amy is no stranger to controversy. Now, her affirmation and support of her niece's wedding to another woman is just somewhere that I can't go. We've had many family members whom we love deeply who are gay- but for the life of us, we cannot find references or a consistent support in the Bible for same sex relationships. Our lives belong to Jesus Christ, and if we're going to carry his name, we've got to be 100% willing to die to everything that God's word says is unholy. Everything. 

I was more than disappointed in Amy. I was angry. Very angry. 

Some say she's abandoned her faith, others say she never had it. I say Amy is still growing in it, and like many of us, have chosen to believe things that are not true- or worse, failed to align their beliefs with what God deems clean and pure. But let me state clearly- she is wrong in this approval of those living the LGBTQ lifestyle and professing Jesus. To support what God deems evil is wrong. There is deception going on here. The truth is always loving. The presentation of it must be loving as well.

We're all broken. We're all imperfect. Even if you side with Amy on this issue, look deep within and admit there's still a lot of work left to be done in you. If you disagree with her on this issue, remember you like I am not perfect. There's still work to be done, and if God's spirit is in us, we must choose to disagree peacefully and civilly. That attitude reflects God's heart to a world that needs to know Him. Not pride and ego, arguing and fighting. We all - believer in Jesus Christ or not- can come to God imperfect and broken, but we must yield to Him and His ways to continue to show Him that he is loved. Sermon over. 

Pray for Amy to come to the truth in humility and to be willing to stand up for it- lovingly, kindly, but bravely. Many will fall away from Jesus. The Word tells us that. Is this the beginning of Amy's total move away from the Lord? I hope not.

It's still hard for me to listen to her now- sadly, even her Christmas albums- which I love.

Now... here's a great concert where Amy performs hits both secular and sacred, and she tells many stories along the way. Human stories that reveal brokenness in her own family and God's enduring faithfulness. 

Thanks to 7th Stone Media for publishing this concert for 2023:

No comments: