December 16, 2022

What A Find! The Supremes Sing Holland/Dozier/Holland

Who doesn't love Motown and the classic songs of the 1960's? For many families growing up in that era, Motown was the party sound for every kind of gathering. Founder Berry Gordy put together an astonishing collection of artists and surrounded them with an equally impressive roster of songwriters and musicians. Long before Michael Jackson and the Jackson5, artists from Smokey Robinson to Steve Wonder to The Temptations and the Four Tops, the men of the company created instant classics like Tracks of My Tears, My Girl, and my favorite, Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

The women were no less impressive! Mary Wells' My Guy was a smash, and I just loved the songs by Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye. Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing, and You're All I Need to Get By were iconic and recorded by many other artists for decades.  (Want to read my favorite Motown remakes, look here.)

All said, it was easily The Supremes, led by Diana Ross, that I heard most often. My aunts played them non-stop, and it seemed I grew to know every word to every song. The ones written by brothers Brian and Eddie Holland with Lamont Dozier were the catchiest of the bunch to be sure.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I found this old album for a dirt cheap price (less than $10). And one in pristine condition no less! Merry Christmas to me!

No comments: