January 27, 2021

Black Voices, Disneyland, and the Jungle Cruise

Black voices and representation matters. We as a country have been notorious about trying to remove that during our history. It's good we are fixing that even at the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom parks. Am I angry the white man is now on the bottom of the Jungle Cruise totem pole? No. I find it clever and humorous. 

But let's be honest, all voices matter. Everyone wants to be respected. With that said, the movement away from free speech and cancel culture is frightening. Why?

Unity does not mean uniformity. And if I disagree strongly with someone's opinion, I'll still fight for their right to share it. I'd rather know what people are thinking than not. This is one reason open discussion is important. Particularly on a social media platform where people routinely say things and use words they would never think of using face to face.

As we work this out together, I plead with you to exhibit kindness and generosity of spirit. Ask questions and seek to understand. It is a Biblical model after all- and it works!

No comments: