August 12, 2015

Looking for Virgin Skin

Looking for some virgin skin? I really wasn't at first, but eventually, I couldn't help myself. But over time, it just became something I couldn't help but do. Most men I know have probably gotten into it too at times.

I will say it went from a fairly minor curiosity and grew from there. And it kind of got out of control.


Before you jump to any conclusions, it's important that I give a bit of explanation to my actions... and how I got entangled in its snare.
You see, this concerned me as I know "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."  (Hebrews 4:13)


We were out at the Denver Zoo (you can see Sunday's post for more details), and being summertime, and an extremely hot day at that, I couldn't help but see so much skin. 


Everywhere. I expected it, but I was overwhelmed by it all in one aspect.


Now I'm pretty modest, but I'm no prude. But I also found myself looking- I mean really looking all around me. Taking it all in.


What I discovered surprised me.

As I looked around, I saw it everywhere. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, any combination- it didn't matter. Young, old, and all ages. Flabby, slender, fat, in shape, steroid enhanced, obese, and everything in between. Clean cut to grungy; lots of hair, no hair and every style and color imaginable, it was just skin, skin, and more skin.


Men and women alike had filled their arms, legs, necks, chests, backsides, and faces with tattoos of all types. There was ink everywhere I looked. Everything from delicate stars on women's faces to initials on necks and foreheads, tears from eyes (yes, I know what that means), to the whole plethora of skulls, naked women, butterflies, semi-colons. I saw swirls of thorns, beautiful roses and even ivy adorning women's cleavage, inner thighs, and so much more.


As with my youngest son, some tattoos had religious references or imagery- some even evil or demonic looking. Some ink was cultural or nationalistic. (He has four tattoos, including a giant American flag running down his forearm!) Some have favorite sayings or layers upon layers of artwork. Much was very beautiful as far as being art. Some was poorly done and clearly even self-performed.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would never begrudge anyone having themselves inked if they really wanted. But where was all the untouched God-given beauty that comes from naturally tinted virgin skin? It's disappearing so fast as folks continue to advertise their personal priorities, tastes, and beliefs by tattooing themselves in any space available on their body.

Those of us with virgin skin are becoming rarer and rarer. Maybe we should start a revolution. Can any human artist do anything to improve on what God Himself has created? We're each unique and beautiful in our own way, aren't we? Perhaps it's time to start a new trend...

2 comments:

Len said...

Great insight and totally caught off by the title...LOL! Even if I wanted a tattoo, I'm a born chicken when it comes to needles.

Mark said...

Me too, Len. But I considered it once...