June 19, 2018

The Fireman's Prayer

Couple Sundays ago, we were honored to attend the graduating class of firefighters. I'll paraphrase what was said, and then I'll give you the full text of the traditional Fireman's Prayer

"Billy Graham once wrote: “It might surprise you to learn that the person in the Bible who spoke the most about Hell's reality was Jesus. He repeatedly warned us not to take it lightly: ‘Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell’ (Matthew 10:28).

I think about how you firefighters must understand more about Hell than those of us who don’t jump into the flames to save others! Thank you for being willing to risk your lives for our benefit! May you always go into each fight knowing Jesus cares, is watching, and has offered us the perfect example in how to lay down our lives for others."

Let me end this with a look at the Fireman’s Prayer:

When I am called to duty, God, Whenever flames may rage…
Give me the strength to save some life whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child before its too late.
Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout 
And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor and protect their property.
And if according to your will, I have to lose my life
Please bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife."

Thank you to all the brave men and women who serve communities all over the world!

No comments: