February 7, 2013

Maybe I Am Amazed

For a man who can write a lot of Silly Love Songs, we also have to remember that he can write and perform some incredible hits. His Beatles days were well behind him by the time he penned "Maybe I'm Amazed". I love the fact that in this very ordinary, sometimes routine life, I can still be amazed.

Indulge me, if you will, a very personal story I want to share. Mainly, long after I'm gone, I want my children and grandchildren to be able to read this and make them smile.

My youngest son was a mere 4 or 5 years old. One day, we were out to run a short errand, and I had to stop and buy some gasoline for my (always) beat up car. That beat up car was a pretty good symbol of where I was at this point in my life. I was discouraged, disheartened by my own brokenness and inability to change my future.

As I'm pumping gas, I look into the back seat where my little boy was in his car seat. He had a big smile on his face, and he turned and looked at me with an even bigger smile. Like any dad with a young one, it warmed my heart, filling me with a great amount of love for him.

In that instant, I sensed God Himself speaking to me these words: "I love you like that." Amazing timing. Tears instantly overtook me, and they ran down my face while I finished the task at hand. Thank God for pay and go gasoline!

Like I said, it's a very personal story, one I've shared with my wife and a few close friends. Now you've heard it- and I want to remind you, Jesus Christ is always waiting to make your life brand new. All you've got to do is believe He is who He says (The Savior God sent) and turn to Him and away from the stuff you shouldn't be doing. He can and wants to give you a brand new life. You can be amazed, too, by what your life becomes. All of a sudden you can have a life that is filled with joy in the midst of hardship and one of purpose. I hope you take the risk.

No comments: