January 14, 2020

Pieces of Olivia's Legacy

Quite a stunning piece of eye candy, isn't it? Throughout each season of her life, Olivia Newton-John was always presented by her label in the most fetching of ways even if some photographs or music didn't always stand the test of time. The song itself is an 80's tune: frantic, lively, and ultimately a lot of fun but not one that is timeless. 

While out for a visit back home, my wife directed me to a large stack of vinyl as we were helping my recently widowed mother-in-law clean up/ clear out some belongings. These singles stood out to me (as did a copy of the Carpenters "Live at the Palladium" disc.) Which of her six children had such similar musical tastes? Hmmm.

As for The Best of Me, superstar producer David Foster set his sights on being an artist and more than a successful man behind the scenes. His voice on this 1986 release is adequate but not much more. Regardless, Olivia is as lovely as ever and the song ever more timeless. Certainly it will reflect a legacy of popularity and excellence. The song itself made the rounds as Kenny Rogers covered it as well. 

No, I didn't bring any of the finds home as my luggage was limited. But it got me to thinking, what will my kids take from my large collection of music and Disney memorabilia when I pass away? Some of it really is quite valuable as evidenced by what things sell for on e-bay. My legacy should be more than the things I enjoyed. What will yours be?

No comments: