December 20, 2019

El Rio del Tiempo (The River of Time)

Imagineer Eddie Martinez was unknown to me until I was gifted this beautiful piece of concept art for EPCOT Center's Mexico pavilion. You might correctly recognize it as a scene from the original boat ride attraction, El Rio del Tiempo (The River of Time).  

Back in the early days (until the Three Caballeros took over and it became the Gran Fiesta Tour), this intimate cultural gem was one of my favorite parts of World Showcase. The transition to Tour was just another early indicator of the direction the suits were going to make Epcot "more Disney". Coco here we come.

Time marches on as well as flows. As I'm writing this post, I'm also preparing to share at my father-in-law's memorial service. And I'm thankful for his life but also aware of my own limited time on earth. Jesus' words ring in my ear- the words he used to comfort two grieving sisters at a loss because of their brother's death: "Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live even if he dies, and the one who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” It's from John, chapter 11. 

In the midst of death, there's hope and peace- and in time, a reunion dinner for all who love Jesus, God in the flesh. See you soon, Grandpa Joe. The River of Time continues to flow...

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.) 

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Mark, what a beautiful thing to write about your life, the life of your father-in-law, and your reminder to two grieving sisters from Jesus. Time does flow on... and grateful are we to have seen a part of the river, until the day we will see the entirety of it all. May you enjoy this Christmas season knowing we serve a resurrected King who was humbly born in a manger over 2,000 years ago.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle - Matt