August 17, 2018

Old Frontierland Map

Ever since my recent visit to Disneyland, I've been on quite the kick of how wonderful Frontierland is! (Yes, I'm still working on that trip report. Almost done- it's worth the wait.) 

The revised Rivers of America made me take a fresh look. But it also made me think about the past when the Wild West really lived up to its Disneyland opening day experience. So, take a look at this souvenir book map from my 1957 Disneyland guide. 

This early Frontierland looks like Davy Crockett's world come to life. What a great place to explore! I couldn't have been the only one as I bet young future Imagineers and cartoonists were inspired by the old The Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland and its Rainbow Caverns. Think about the design of Carsland's Radiator Springs Racers. (If you've ridden it, you know what I'm referring to. If not, I won't spoil it.)

Exploring caves, the authentic Indian village, the fort on Tom Sawyer Island or the whole western landscape by mule or train made for quite a day of adventures! I loved paddling a canoe or taking a cruise on the river. (Still do!)

I'll quote myself from an earlier post here: "There was something very hands on about the place, be it shooting rifles, searching for the perfect coonskin hat, or hanging on to the ropes while crossing those pesky barrel and suspension bridges of Tom Sawyer Island. Nowadays, hands on tends to mean "hands on the controller" as Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin take prominence at the Disney parks. Sure, those rides are fun, and the parks need this kind of variety, but the simple pleasures of simpler times also have their place. Yet, these kind of smaller attractions are no longer built. With their absence, we are also missing a part of homespun Americana and the opportunity to embrace our own imagination."

Other parks beyond the castle ones should think about what these old school attractions could bring. Tokyo Disney Sea has its fortress explorations, and it is well beloved. Animal Kingdom's Pandora would have been a perfect place for an island to explore. Maybe the next expansion to the area will do just that. Here's hoping!

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: