October 20, 2017

Exploring Swiss Family Treehouse Coast to Coast

Perhaps it's coming back from vacation and seeing all the beautiful banyan trees in the islands. Perhaps it's just the love of the Swiss Family Treehouse at Disneyland, Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, and even the one at Disneyland Paris on Adventure Isle. There's something about this tropical home that intrigues me. (I haven't been to Tokyo's or Hong Kong's yet, but they are on my list!

The movie Swiss Family Robinson captured by attention as both a film and later from the book in which it originated. 


Let me explain a bit about the several pieces of concept art you are looking at. All are pretty large, so make sure to click and see the biggest size possible.

The two top pieces on this article are by Disney Imagineer Herb Ryman. One of my favorite all time artists that ever worked for the Company. Every time I think I've seen it all, something surprises me. Both the piece in brown and the next in full color were done for Florida's Magic Kingdom. Boy, am I glad that the suits did not demand a clone of the original in California! When I finally saw the park for the first time in 1975, I couldn't wait to travel up into the tree and explore. With the beautiful, graceful Plaza Swan Boats circling the tree, it was quite a view to behold!

The black and white piece above was created exclusively for the movie by Disney legend John Hench. It's quite beautiful as well!


In the early 1960's, Walt's Swiss Family Treehouse attraction was still being designed, it was a project in the making for Disneyland as an addition to Adventureland. The end result wasn't quite like the artwork but instead much, much, better. It was an instant park favorite, continuing on this day even since Tarzan took over. 

(As Imagineer Tony Baxter shared, during Disneyland's very dark days under Paul Pressler, it looked to be the next location of another shop, so turning it into Tarzan's home actually saved the tree from extinction!)

Lastly, I leave you with these stunning attraction posters. The colors are rich and bold- much like the adventure that awaits for all who climb and dare to dream! The one above, the official completed version. The one below, an alternative "screen and color" test or maybe a proposed final version without lettering. Both are incredible!

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.

No comments: