March 23, 2017

Gay Man's View: Beauty Robs Innocence of Kids


"Prime-time network television is geared for an adult audience; one that understands the world we live in. Adults have long lost their innocence. Whether it be sex, drugs or violence, many of us have had our eyes open to the hardships of the world. We lost our innocence when we grew out of adolescence, but do we really want our kids to lose theirs in adolescence?" 

Openly gay attorney Joseph R. Murray 

In this quote from his opinion piece for the Orlando Sentinel, attorney Joseph R. Murray reflects on the logic behind Disney's inclusion of gay characters in Beauty and the Beast- and what it may cost our children. The entire piece is certainly worth a read. 

Note: Again, as I said earlier, the decision of how to educate our children on topics we deem important should be the choice of parents and not the decision of the government and entertainment companies. I plan on seeing the film for myself as my schedule permits.

(Photograph copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

2 comments:

Debbie V. said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen photos and clips. I have never understood homosexuality among a lot of other lifestyles, or sexual relationships, that people choose. To me it seems "icky". But c'est la vie.
However, I don't think it's anything that a child would be shocked by any more than other sexual relationships. Remember not all children live in a controlled environment, and children share what they learn.
Children take things very matter-of-factly unlike we adults. When adults make a big stink about something they disagree with that children are bewildered and scared.

Mark said...

Hi Debbie. I'm a huge advocate parents having the right to educate their children according to their beliefs and according to the timing they see best for what they deem to be delicate subjects. I haven't been able to see the movie yet because of my schedule, but I really want to. It's my favorite Disney animated movie. Thanks for reading!