February 9, 2014

Yesterday: The Beatles Invasion- 50 Years

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Beatles invasion, here are just a few of my favorite tunes by the group that changed musical history:
  • "I Saw Here Standing There"- I grew up on Motown, so unbelievably, I did not know the Beatles music as theirs until after 1970. This song, among the first I'd heard with knowledge, stands out for its playful, youthful vibe- the power of boy sees girl. And isn't that the fun part of Rock and Roll?
  • "Day Tripper" - The opening notes are instantly recognizable, the melody sinks into your brain and never leaves. 
  • "The Long and Winding Road" - Sentimental and symphonic, the pure emotion of the piece overwhelms me at times. If there was any doubt Paul McCartney and John Lennon would be legends, this puts the argument to rest.
  • "Back in the USSR" - I just love to listen to this as I run! With its lyrical tongue in cheek tribute to the Beach Boys, the song is just Fun, Fun, Fun.
  • "Yesterday" - no explanation needed, is there?

No comments: