May 29, 2013

If You Had Wings, Had Wings, Had Wings...

In a retro sort of mood today... 

I kinda want to fly away to some tropical isle, grab a drink of vibrant colors and stick my toes in the sand.  Watch the sun go down while some steel drum band plays.

But since its impossible today, I'll just settle for humming a little Disney tune I've always loved, If You Had Wings. The chestnut Tomorrowland attraction was one of the main reasons I went to that side of the Magic Kingdom park, and I was smitten by my first ride. Eastern Airlines had a winner on its hands. Like so many beloved Walt Disney World attractions, its gone now.

Its unique combination of props, film, atmosphere and music was later duplicated for Epcot's El Rio del Tiempo but the Imagineers were mandated to destroy another classic in recent years due to a character invasion. Gran Fiesta Tour is just not quite as enchanting...

No comments: