February 13, 2013

No Merlin Magic in Disneyland

If you've been reading the blog lately, you've probably noticed my very extensive post / trip report on Disneyland Paris from our trip in January. On that post, I contrasted my three different trips in three different decades and in three different seasons. 

I was pretty impressed by the Merlin L'Enchanteur  gift shop and its secret passage down into the dungeon to face the fire-breathing dragon. The inside is even better!

In Paris, Merlin the magician makes his home here.
The inside is incredible!

Little did I know that idea the of a Merlin shop existed for Disneyland in California! But as you can tell by viewing the top image, it was certainly on the drawing boards long. long ago. Going to show once more, old ideas at Imagineering never really die.

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

4 comments:

Eric Scales said...

I believe that the shop to the right just inside Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland, which has over the years been various things, was at one point called Merlin's Magic shop.

Mark said...

Love the wealth of info you are, Eric. Thanks for keeping me honest!

Anonymous said...

I worked the the original Merlin's in 1955 when it was owned by Merv Taylor Magic. Now in 2014 I finally get to publish a book that enbodies that experience.
The Magic & Mystery of Johnny Copperpromotes the interest of young people in the ART OF MAGIC and how to overcome today's challenges such as bullying, gangs, drugs, and cyber-crime. Part 1 tells Johnny Copper's adventurous story. Part 2 explains how to do his magic. www.johnnycoppermagic.com

Mark said...

Fascinating, Clyde!