November 3, 2008

Another Year, Another Election


Ambition. Greed. Pride. All these elements are found in any Presidential election and in various amounts within the candidates themselves. It’s no different this time.

Before anyone assumes I am throwing stones, be assured I’m not. This is the human condition. I find these in me, and if you look deep enough, you’ll find them in you as well. Let’s be honest: it’s ugly in there. It gets even worse when we mix all this and do it in the name of God or use Him to promote our agendas. This too, is the nature of politics and our human sinful nature.

“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.” These words from the great apostle Paul are a good reminder for keeping our focus on God and His ways as we live in a world governed by imperfect men and women who are trying the best they can to do what they think is right.

Come Wednesday morning, regardless of who wins the election, I will support this President with my prayers. He will be my President even if I did not support him with my vote. Both men have invoked God and expressed belief in Jesus as their foundation. May it truly be so as one of them moves into a very tough job.

No comments: